Monday, November 3, 2008

Using Reverse Osmosis for Flower Arrangements


On Friday, I stopped in at my local florist, Shig's Flowers and had a chat with the owner, Marty Shigehiro. I was picking up some flowers for my wife Carri, when we started talking about business. I mentioned I was doing some writing about the different things that can be done with Reverse Osmosis (RO) water once people break free of relying on carrying 40 pound jugs of water back and forth from stores.

When you have a basically un-ending supply of RO water, you don't need to worry about "using it up" so things like making all your coffee, teas and juices all the sudden get you better tasting product - as well as about a 25% savings on those purchases. Since you aren't covering up things like chlorine and dissolved rocks (hard water) when you make something like concentrated orange juice, instead of 3 cans of water, when you use RO water, you get to add a 4th can - definitely an easy to see savings....


At any rate, beyond the "obvious uses" I was talking with Marty about flowers. He suggested there definitely is a difference when you are using reverse osmosis water. The plants are healthier and last longer. It makes sense though - plants are definitely sensitive, and they certainly can't find any natural areas where they'd be growing in chlorinated water!

I guess its probably counterproductive to Marty for me to pass this on, since if you use your chemically-treated hard water from the tap, flowers don't last and you'd have to buy them more often - sorry Marty.... You didn't say anything about keeping this a secret.
Until next time!

No comments: